Friday, February 8, 2013

The Lotus Asylum Bag


When someone would purchase a doll from me, I used to wrap them up in muslin and tie them up with jute twine, before packaging them up and sending them off. However, somewhat recently. . . say within the last two or three months or so, I started hand sewing these little muslin drawstring bags to put the dolls in before packaging. I think it almost gives a doll the feeling of "getting a present" even if you bought it for yourself. But, most of all, I enjoy making them. It's not that I don't have, or don't know how to use a sewing machine. It's that I find a sort of peaceful enjoyment in the business of hand sewing. These little bags can keep being made in my spare time indefinitely, so there is not much tedium in making them. Soon, I will be switching to butcher's twine rather than the jute, though. I think it's a little more elegant, and more of a staple for drawstring bags.

Normally, I would just keep on making and sending these little bags along with the dollies, and not say a word about them. But, yesterday, I started making a new one and got very excited. 


You see, about two weeks or so ago, I thought it might be a great idea to make my neat (as can be) little stitches in different colors, so there would be that unique little detail that was fun. I then proceeded to make a red one and a green one. I wasn't too excited about either, but I sold some dolls, so off they went. 

Last night, however, I ran out of the last of my white thread, so I decided to look through my bin and see what special colors I could find. I found a variegated thread that I bought at an antique shop last year in a box with a color I needed. I had never used this thread, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was very surprised at how cool it turned out. 



I do believe I will continue to make these little bags in this color. It's much too much fun not to.







No comments:

Post a Comment