Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Favorite things: Limes



Every now and then I will write about one of my favorite things. Many people certainly love that freshly squeezed glass of orange juice or lemonade, but have you ever tried limeade? It's quite simple really:

5 parts Water
1 part freshly squeezed Limes
1 part sugar

But really, much like many things that call for a whole part of sugar, it really is too sweet. So, of course, this recipe ought to reduce the sugar by 25-30%. I suppose I could have just written the recipe that way, but then what about those who prefer a whole cup of sugar in their Kool Aid? I figure you ought to know what you're getting, and definitely give yourself the amount of sugar that you would like best.

Limes are one of those things I've liked since I was quite young. I remember reading Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, and when I got to the part where little Amy March was ever so upset about her lack of limes, I asked my mother, "Do they actually intend to eat a lime all by itself?"  I think she mentioned that she supposed so, and since we were just heading inside the grocery store, I asked if I could buy a lime or two so I could try it. I've been in love with limes ever since. A mouth full of lime peel, making a lovely green smile and your breath suddenly seems a lot fresher. 

Indeed I do love limes, but since the weather is looking so lovely, I couldn't resist making a nice big jug of limeade, today. Go on, try it!


Lotus Asylum









1 comment:

  1. As soon as I saw the title of your post I thought of Little Women. I must watch that again.
    When I was little it was lemons. Whenever our family went out to the neighborhood chinese restaurant my mom and dad and siblings would all give me their lemon quarters that came with the sweet and sour shrimp. I loved to suck on the tangy tartness until my jowls tingled. Just as you did with the limes. I think I'll go see if we have a lemon in the frig right now.

    ReplyDelete